Wednesday 1 July 2015

The Sirens Tested




28th of June started with awesome shock from the mother quake throwing me off from the bed and almost running away without a pant. The evening sirens noising out loud kept the people all around shocked more. It was the warning of Lemtsho lake outburst in Laya and possibility of Punatsangchhu getting its discharge high. The lake burst cause was not known but people doubted the morning quake and summer rainfall. Prime Minister warned every people in the valley to be careful. I was one among the timid and quickly ran to grasp my car key and wrapped my documents to get out from Bajo towards high place. I did not care about my TV, refrigerator and other staffs. (it was too heavy to take it in a short time :P) Many people got out to Gangthangkha.  It was a panic that all originated from a loud siren call. The river was ofcourse large  but not large enough to wash away Bajo which is approximately 10 to 20 m higher in elevation than Punatsangchhu Basin. What so ever, the operation of siren-warning call was tested, it passed the test. I don't know if I should run next time if the sirens are on. Many people feel, the river will never in our lifetime rise at the level of Bajo. They trust in Punakha Dzong.

No comments:

Post a Comment