Saturday 15 August 2015

The Perilous Work

If you have read me, you must have known but for some of you let me introduce once more. I work in Punatsangchhu Project. I am a Mechanical Engineer. Yes i am a welding boy. I look after a steel liner covering two (more than 300m each) of vertical pressure shafts. It has over 200 joints amounting to 3700+m risk bound lengths. For every joints there must be a different testings. The access to these vertical pressure shafts are through EOT cranes only. Sometimes these cranes functions not smoothly. The operators gives no heed saying the maintenance will take long way to process.  We travel through this bucket hooked with ropes like a transport of goods. Every time I travel i pray that may god bless us, i get a chance to remember my poor parents. I become tremendously religious for about few hours. I encourage myself and pretend brave, thinking its for tsa wa sum and yeah one day if one is destined to die one may die in the toilet even. But seriously, to work in the project at site is risky. Anytime we may die. Including drivers allocated for site, work supervisor, SOs, JEs and all Engineers are subjected to hazardous working environment. The risk is evident from MHPA accident. And yes for that we get so many allowances. But the risk allowances credited from the people who are really working in the hazardous environment is being shared to the employees who are not even exposed to a little risk. I wrote this as a HR policy discrepancy long ago. They deny to solve this issue because they are among the least to be exposed to risk but still they admire to share allowance. I am not telling I must get. Let me be posted as HR officer, I promise I will not take the site risk allowance. Its not just in projects, take cement plant it is same and in any other operational companies the need to revisit the work and pay has become crucial. Ofcourse the engineers are paid basically more than the management staffs but this is accounted for technical expertise. The risk allowance or allowance associated to hazard should be distinct and pronounced. It is evident that Plant people are far more exposed to risk than office staffs. Unfortunately even the tours & training's are blessed to office staffs. Current scenario has been merely working not based on concrete policy but a personal influence and power deeply rooted in cultural system of the organisation and relationship. I regret to see such virus in our health of organisations. Now it has come to a time to fight for opportunities.

P.S Sorry if i hurt your sentiments. I welcome a debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment