Sunday 18 October 2015

My Azem & Her Cancer

At the dying moment even the stones appears a devil. Who won't be scared when you are told that you will breath your last air any moment. Everything turns black and even your dogs will bark at your face. Be prepared to die because this is the only last win of your life.

My azem is the only woman besides my mother and sisters who would treat me like prince. The last egg of a hen would be saved for me. Last seasons cucumber would be preserved for me. My vacations never went without a cheesy night at my azems house. She was the woman who would take out my ear wastes, scratch my head and make me sleep. She was a divorcee. For her blessing she married again. 

The year 2011 came in as an ill luck. I was a college student then. Six months ago she underwent several treatment under local healers. Memey Karchung tried his best. Even they went all the way to Tsholingkhar Samdrub Jongkhar for the healer who was said to treat all sorts of disease which even hospital cant. I enquired about the disease but it was too late when i knew it was a bleeding from the vagina. I knew then our social boundary, limited openness and restricted frankness has been a dirty barrier. It should not have taken so long for me to know it was an excessive bleeding from vagina.

I called for an emergency ambulance. They agreed with so much arguments over rough and muddy roads. My people at home were not ready for hospital. Grandma was not ready to accept a dead body back from the hospital. She felt it was all good if she dies at home. She argued us that, dying with an oxygen musk making all mercy noise is too torturing before a death. I put aside all those myths and told them hospital is at best in modern days now. No person will die with a scissors inside their stomach. Machines are better than human. I convinced that taking to hospital would be more fulfilling. Finally my azem was rushed to Mongar hospital and was diagnosed as the last stage cervical cancer. There was whole lot mess when i was communicated about the disease. My sister read the prescription as carcinoma. She told that doctors were telling there is no treatment. The information was asked to be kept secret. I finally got that carcinoma was nothing but a cancerous tissue. The patient was refered to Thimphu Hospital. I received the patient and i was asked to arrange some blood donors. She was stinking. Dr. Ugyen Tshomo advised to take her to Kolkata as soon as possible for chemotherapy. I had  hardtimes fighting with G4S guards while running in and out for processing documents for the referal. Only god would have given a justice if i had killed one guards. I once again had to convince my home that no organs would be traded and she would be back to life.

It was a continous bleeding and smell was everywhere. Five canes of perfume was simply not enough. I had to beg every passenger mates to consider the smell. Sometimes some people act like they will never die. A very long and tiring journey through a bus almost killed my azem. She lost conciousness. We were not refered through air. We couldnot afford ourselves too. In life i clearly understood there is a line. A line that divides one from another. There was a huge need for my azem to be refered through air. I could only wish if i was a medical superintendent or a minister. My azem had a cancer cells spread all over. She had a continous bleeding. Hospital did not arrange any blood for the journey. I would hate to believe if they had sent us to die on the way. For the luck and a tremendous care my aku gave we reached thakur pukur cancer hospital. Dr chakraborty ordered imediate study of the patient. She was once again re evalauted to find that she was not in the ultimate last stage. It was IV A. More bloods were injected into her body. Chemotherapy took her weight out. Over three months after, she came back to her appetite. Five years surviving probability for last stage cervical cancer patient is said to be 20-30%.

Only god knows. Even siences are feared of god. She is completing the myth of five years now. As of now she is a healthy woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment