Friday 4 April 2014

DRUKAIR and I

When you don’t have a job, every vacancy is scanned in newspapers like gold miner searching for gold. I did the same and zoomed DRUK air vacancy of six trainee engineers. As a mechanical engineering graduate, well interested in aeronautics, I opted to apply for the post, defying my friend’s suggestions not to. I argued them, if one is incapable of performing a job company will certainly not take you in. If you are fit into why won’t they take you? I believed DrukAir as esteemed corporations and there won’t be procedural lapses.
Still I did not lose my spirit to become an engineer in aircrafts. I posted the documents to HR DrukAir. Appending the cost of photocopy I spent around Nu 200 for registering an application. Most of the time I checked newspapers and website if the shortlisted candidates are out and that aggravated the emptiness of my purse. Finally I was shortlisted and was called for written examination to further scrutinize the selection. Taxi was always the ultimate mode to travel when you don’t have relatives in other side to halt night and you have important works on other hand. As summoned for written examination I spent 400 for to and fro journey between Thimphu and Paro. Taxis were blessed during those times; hundreds of jobless students went for written examination. I sometimes felt like DRUK Air is basically helping taxis to earn. I wish they realized how difficult is to manage for jobless people economically. I wished CEO of DrukAir was my dad; I would have really made him realize that pains.  

I had to keep update and waited for the result of written examination to be posted on website. It was good news I stood seventh of fifty (aprrox) of us. I again went for the final interview from Thimphu. I wished it was conducted in Thimphu because many of us certainly have relatives in Thimphu. I guess it would have been cheaper for few of them to come to Thimphu and conduct exam or interview for hundreds of us. As far as I observed 98% people who sat for competition were residing in Thimphu.
I went for interview, yes I was confident. The question they asked me were,
Do you really wanna work with DrukAir?  And I was made to read Dzongkha Kuensel.  etc They did not asked any such questions which I would feel I could not answer. I felt yes I could answer it all well.

Finally I was standby, many who were below me in written exam got selected and the background of them spoke a loud to conclude many things about DrukAir.
My friend was right; to apply DrukAir is wastage of money and time.
An only person of higher level gets the seat.
DrukAir is inefficient in HR policy.

MY appeal: DrukAir HR policy should be revised. I do not claim DrukAir as corrupt but I feel as big organization governing lapses are rampant and people should be held responsible for managing the issues.

2 comments:

  1. I have hundred and one to tell about Drukair recruitment procedures and policies. It's good that you didn't get there. Otherwise you'll be wailing later. That's why I never ever attempted of applying in Drukair. Things happen behind veils in Drukair. I am sure you'll get the better one. Have patience. All the best of luck bro..

    ReplyDelete